Friday, November 11, 2011

Cain Velasquez’s Jiu-Jitsu


Cain Velasquez’s Jiu-Jitsu
Could Saturday’s fight end on the ground, with a well-timed submission? Most don’t think so. But Jiu-Jitsu, as always, will be a vital piece in the war between heavyweights Cain Velasquez, a brown belt and the champion, and challenger Junior Cigano, a Nogueira brothers brown belt.

Cain (Guerrilla JJ) has been through the ropes on the ground. He won the No-Gi Worlds absolute as a blue belt in 2007. He won the ultra heavy division, too. No small feat.

“I started Jiu-Jitsu when I started MMA, in 2007. he told GRACIEMAG.com reporter Nalty Jr. in conversation. “I don’t feel much difference between Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling. But once I learned Jiu-Jitsu my wrestling improved considerably. I have more control over positions. I feel the blend of Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling is great,” he adds.

Our GMA in Mexico and Renzo Gracie black belt Mario Delgado often trains with Cain; he told us what he thinks of the heavyweight’s Jiu-Jitsu. “He’s always looking to pass guard and mount to use his ground and pound. His Jiu-Jitsu game is really great and, with his wrestling pedigree, he’s always looking for top position.”

What about you, dear reader: will it end on the ground or start from there this Saturday?